Protecting God's Children
Thank you for your interest in St. Thomas Aquinas ministries. We are happy to have you become an active volunteer of our faith community! St. Thomas Aquinas is committed to providing a safe environment for all members of our faith community, especially children and vulnerable adults. In accordance with the Diocese of Charlotte requirements, all parish volunteers must complete the following three forms before they can participate in parish ministry.
- Release and Authorization Form authorizes the parish to request a background check. The form is submitted to the Diocese of Charlotte by the parish for processing.
- Volunteer Profile asks for standard personal information.
- Acknowledgement of Receipt Form for Diocesan Safe Environment Policies - Code of Ethics and Sexual Misconduct Policy (Policies are available for download here)
Forms may be obtained through the parish office Monday through Friday 9am to 5pm OR by clicking the links above. Completed and signed forms should be returned to the Church Office in sealed envelope to the attention of Monica Bailey. These can be dropped off at the reception desk or mailed to: St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church, 1400 Suther Road, Charlotte, NC 28213.
As part of our regular practice at St. Thomas Aquinas, we audit the Safe Environment compliance files frequently. Thank you for your patience as we update our records. Active volunteers must have background checks renewed every five years and may be randomly renewed more often. The parish office will contact you when a renewal is required. This is done in compliance with Our Pastor, Our Bishop, and the USCCB's requirements.
Additionally, volunteers working with children must attend a Protecting God's Children workshop. This 2.5 hour program is intended to educate volunteers to recognize and prevent sexual abuse. Pre-registration is required for the workshop. You can do this online at www.virtus.org. After the workshop, you will be asked to keep your training updated through online monthly bulletins. The monthly training requires approximately 15 minutes. There is an additional yearly recertification. You will be notified by Virtus, through email, of the bulletins and recertification.
- Please check the parish bulletin and website for upcoming dates of "Protecting God's Children" at St. Thomas Aquinas and around the diocese.
- All participants should register on virtus.org for monthly updates. Follow these instructions to sign up if you haven't already!
- Please visit the diocesan website at www.charlottediocese.org for additional information about the Protecting God's Children Program.
Again, thank you for your interest in St. Thomas Aquinas Ministries and for helping to ensure than our parish is a safe environment for the children and vulnerable adults of our faith community.